Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thing # 23: Summarize Your Thoughts About This Program

1)Actually setting up a blog was one of my favorite things, since I never in a million years thought I would do such a thing. Learning about podcasts and their possibilities will be really useful. I also liked creating an RSS feeds account, and Google Docs is something I plan to use frequently.

2)Initially I was intimidated when beginning this program, but I have learned that it is possible for me to gain ground technically speaking even if my pacing is not the same as my younger colleagues. In fact, this program has almost made we wish I was at the beginning of my teaching carrer rather than the later stage because of the difference I think some of these innovations could make in a student's discovery of knowledge and how powerful that can be.

3)To me, one of the unexpected outcomes, is just how vast and constantly changing the sheer amount of material and projected uses the internet holds, and that the 21st century truly will usher in a whole new perspective on education.

4)One of the biggest hurddles of the program was the time it took to complete each thing. I always felt under the gun to finish. Some of the videos were very slow and a couple never did play. A major challenge was keeping up with all the accounts we had to set up and different usernames and passwords. Is there an easy way to do it, like store all those somewhere for easy retrival? Doing it online and not sitting in a class was isolating, because there was no one to turn to and get immediate feedback or help from. Although I have to say, Vaughn was the best kickball captain and never made me feel self conscious about asking for help.

5)Yes, I would probably participate in a similar program.

6)This experience was stupendous,yes, an old dog can learn new tricks!!

7)I plan to comment on some more blogs right now.

3 comments:

VWB said...

O boy, can I relate with your statement about having these tools and resources at the beginning of a teaching career...can't imagine all the adventures that would have been possible.
It has been fun to be on the frontier of all of this don't you think? no covered wagons or rocket ships for us, but pioneers nonetheless!
Congratulations on learning all these new tricks

Red Swing said...

From another old dog...Good Job with your completion. I am still plugging along and loving it but getting bogged down in the fun of new gadgets! I could have stayed on the LibraryThing for days posting my books!

bookeatersclub said...

I am glad to see that you journeyed through this project and did so well. I hope to see some of the student's projects that will come from your learning.

Please stop by the library if you need a bit of reinforcement as you plan for these wonderful projects.

Congratulations!