Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thing # 15: Web 2.0, Library 2.0 and the Future of Libraries

Nothing has raised my consciousness more about the challenges facing libraries now and in the future, than reading these blogs. In fact I'm not sure it was even in my consciousness. It is exciting and daunting at the same time. Probably the most revealing aspect to me is that we really can't conceive of what technology will be in use in say, my grandchildren's daily life and education, and they aren't that old now. And because the discussion of such a topic is open world-wide, the possibilities could be endless.

I thought Rick Anderson's perspective that there should be less time spent with search interfaces and more time reading and learning was interesting. But the public, especially new users to the web, have to be trained to use the services. Perhaps time will eventually take care of that as we begin to learn from the crib how to navigate the internet and it becomes second nature to us.

2 comments:

Redsie1 said...

The Library2Play has definately raised my consciousness. The world out there is huge and what changes are out there boggles my mind. How do we handle all this? I'm overwhelmed and excited, yet the book lover in me is worried over the future of print.
Redsie1

Blues Goddess said...

If we only had a crystal ball. Look at how much technology has changed just since I got into the library business 20 years ago. From main frames to laptops to USB's and more. The bottom line is that even with all this technology available we are going to be ignorant if we are illiterate. Is this a blog or a soapbox?!